Institut Polytechnique de Paris
A science and technology institute benefiting from the expertise of its founding schools
The Institut Polytechnique de Paris (IP Paris) is a public institution of higher education and research that brings together five leading French engineering schools: the École Polytechnique, ENSTA Paris, ENSAE Paris, Télécom Paris and Télécom SudParis. Under the aegis of the Institute, they pool their two hundred years of expertise to develop joint programs of excellence in education and cutting-edge research. Thanks to the strength of its five founding schools, the Institut Polytechnique de Paris is positioned as a leading teaching and research institution in France and internationally.
The IP Paris develops multidisciplinary training and research programs based on a community of 1000 teacher-researchers from our schools and researchers from national research organizations (CNRS, INRIA) assigned to our laboratories, grouped by major disciplines within 10 teaching and research departments
- Chemistry and Processes
- Information, Communication and Electronics
- Computer Science, Data, and AI
- Mechanics and Energetics
- Humanities, Arts, Letters and Languages
- Social Sciences and Management
In addition to this traditional structuring by major disciplines, IP Paris is developing interdisciplinary centers whose mission is to contribute to research in fields that present key challenges for science and society, in liaison with public authorities, companies and research organizations:
- Energy for Climate (E4C) with École des Ponts
- Artificial Intelligence (Hi! Paris) with HEC Paris
- Defense and Security Studies (CIEDS)
- Engineering for Health
Doctoral research is supported by 30 laboratories and takes place in a very high-level scientific environment. The Institut Polytechnique de Paris offers research master's programs in 15 scientific fields, a 3-year doctoral program within its two doctoral schools, as well as an ambitious 5-year doctoral program, the PhD track, which welcomes high-level students wishing to direct their studies towards research at the end of their Bachelor's degree.
A campus on the outskirts of Paris
Located on the Saclay plateau, the Institut Polytechnique de Paris campus brings together its five founding schools. It offers students, faculty and staff all the facilities they need to pursue their activities in a lively and stimulating environment. Located in the heart of an innovation cluster that ranks among the top 8 in the world, the campus benefits from the dynamism created by the private and public players present in the cluster. Thanks to its privileged geographical location on the outskirts of Paris and its accessibility by transport, students and teacher-researchers can take advantage of the economic dynamism and cultural wealth of the French capital.
Key dates in the creation of IP Paris
- June 02, 2019 – The Polytechnic Institute of Paris officially created
- February 21, 2019 – IP Paris-HEC Paris Alliance
- February 07, 2019 – Unveiling of the name and brand of the new institution
- October 04, 2018 – Signature of the cooperation agreement between the 5 institutions
- June 20, 2018 – Conclusions of the Chameau mission on the grouping of grandes écoles in the Ecole Polytechnique district of the Paris-Saclay Campus, "New Uni"
- February 13, 2018 – Appointment of Jean Lou Chameau, in charge of coordinating the grouping of grandes écoles on the Saclay plateau
- December 11, 2017 – Votes by the ENSAE and GENES Board of Directors
- October 25, 2017 – Announcements by the President of the Republic