Introduce students to how to tell exciting stories from raw data using DataViz. Originally driven by the multiplication of data existing on the Internet and their exploitation, DataViz has spread outside the digital world. It allows rethinking the way to communicate results within a company, to produce information in the media, but also to exploit the results of experimental research. Dataviz is at the heart of all interfaces. This course deals with the methods used to build a solid communication scenario thanks to the different possibilities of data visualization. It will show how to place the user experience at the heart of the reflection of efficient restitution. Focused on the production of subjects, the notions covered are largely illustrated by examples and counter-examples.
The course will consist of lectures including directly practical exercises.
At the end of the course, the student will know how to :
– place data in a political, social, or scientific context and use it to tell a more accurate story
– avoid the mistakes that should not be made when representing data, in terms of schematic and visual representation of the information
– build a simple DataViz from a public dataset
– develop DataViz using Tableau Software
– publish developed DataViz on Tableau Public
– identify the animations and data representations best suited to the message they wish to convey