École Nationale de la Statistique et de l’Administration Économique
The “École Nationale de la Statistique et de l’Administration Économique” (ENSAE) is one of the leading French graduate schools in the fields of statistics, economics, finance and actuarial science.
ENSAE is a founding member of the Institut Polytechnique de Paris (IP Paris), together with some of France’s most prestigious graduate schools of engineering. ENSAE is deeply related to the Center for Research in Economics and Statistics (CREST), one of France’s leading research centers in the fields of economics, statistics and finance.
ENSAE’s faculty includes some of the country’s foremost specialists in their fields. Most lecturers at ENSAE are full-time professors or researchers, but many are professionals working in large public or private corporations.
About a hundred and fifty students graduate each year from ENSAE, after completing a program comparable to the first year of study for a North-American Ph.D. or a top-level North-American Master’s Degree in Economics or Statistics. Two thirds of ENSAE graduates join banks or insurance companies. Many of the others obtain academic positions or work as consultants or auditors. Over fifty percents of ENSAE graduates work in the field of finance.
The academic background of ENSAE students is extremely large. Some of them are admitted through a competitive examination after two or three years in the post-secondary school preparatory programmes (the so-called “classes préparatoires”). Others are graduates of the top French graduate schools such as Ecole Normale Supérieure, Ecole Polytechnique and other Grandes Ecoles. Others are university graduates in either economics or mathematics.
ENSAE also welcomes foreign students who have graduated from top graduate schools of comparable standards in their own countries. Depending on their background and on their needs, these students can be admitted either into the first or into the second year of the mainstream three-year engineering program, or into the fifteen-month graduate program “Mastère Spécialisé” in Actuarial Science, Data Science, Quantitative Finance or Applied Economics.
PhD students who have passed their qualifying examinations can join the CREST to work on their dissertation.
- ENSAE was created 75 years ago
- Admission through 4 competitive examinations & on the basis of academic qualification
- Doubles degree programs with some of France’s most prestigious Grandes Écoles
- 3 year curriculum in the engineering program leading to the grade of Master (“Diplôme d’ingénieur”)
- 6 specialization tracks in third year
- 450 students over the 3 year program
- Average raw earnings in the first job: 49 200 €
- 4 Post Graduate specialization programs: Actuarial science, Data Science, Quantitative methods for economic & financial decision, Finance & risk management
- 5 research masters: Master in Economics, Master Data Science, Master Statistics & Finance, Master Statistics & Machine Learning, Master Quantitative Sociology & Demography
- 6 500 Alumni
- 1 junior enterprise, France’s best junior enterprise in 2018