A particularity of ENSAE is that it accepts students from different academic backgrounds. However, all students have in common a strong taste for mathematics and quantitative analysis.
Students are admitted either through competitive examinations or on the basis of their academic qualification. Students can enter ENSAE’s three-year program at different stages, depending on their academic background.
Given the nature of the French system of competitive examinations for admission to “grandes écoles”, these ways of admission are particularly suited to foreign students who have already studied in the French system, especially to those who have been in classes préparatoires.
Competitive examinations are taken after two or three years in the post-secondary school preparatory programs (“classes préparatoires”). Foreign students are allowed to enroll in these preparatory programs. Requirements are excellent academic standards as well as sufficient knowledge of the French language. Students admitted through competitive examinations enter the first year of ENSAE.
Three national competitive examinations are open to students from distinct kinds of “classes préparatoires”.
- The first one (“concours mathématiques”) is open to students whose basic training has been in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. About 60 students out of approximately are admitted every year.
- The second one (“concours économie et sciences sociales”) is open to students whose preparation has been economics and social science oriented. About 20 students are admitted every year.
- The third one (“concours économie et mathématiques”) is open to students whose preparation has been economics and mathematics oriented. About 12 students are admitted every year.
Another competitive examination is open to students holding a BSc in sciences. This competitive examination is organized jointly with other Grandes écoles (https://admission.gei-univ.fr/). About 5 students are admitted at ENSAE every year.
Admission on the basis of academic qualification
Admission on the basis of academic qualifications is open to students who have graduated from institutions of comparable standards in their own countries. A high standard in mathematics as well as an adequate command of written and spoken French are essential to succeed at ENSAE.
Admission on the basis of academic qualifications is open to:
- university students who have completed an excellent first year of master in mathematics and/or economics
- graduates from other scientific “grandes écoles” who wish to acquire further specialisation at ENSAE. Each year, circa 40 graduates from the Ecole Polytechnique complete their training at ENSAE. Because of their rigorous academic background, these students are directly admitted into the third year.
- admission on the basis of academic qualifications is open to any foreign student. A high standard in mathematics as well as an adequate command of written and spoken French are essential to succeed at ENSAE.
Students admitted on the basis of academic qualification are either university graduates in economics and/or mathematics or graduates of the top French higher education establishments, such as the Ecole polytechnique, the Ecole Normale Supérieure or other Grandes Ecoles (graduate schools). ENSAE also welcomes foreign students who have graduated from institutions of comparable standards in their own countries. Depending on their background and needs, these students can be directly admitted either into the first or second year of the program.
Applicants holding a BSc in mathematics and economics can be admitted in the second year of the engineering cycle. Applicants holding a BSc in maths or economics (with sufficient maths content) can be admitted in first year.
Students can also be admitted through double diploma programs :
- with Humboldt University
- with JiaoTong University
- through other ParisTech or “n+i” programs
Only students with a taste for mathematics are encouraged to apply. All programs taught at ENSAE require an excellent command of quantitative tools, such as statistics, econometrics, stochastic calculus, economic modelling.
Students with an initial training in maths or applied maths stand good chances of success at ENSAE, provided they are aiming to develop their skills in one of the fields of specialization at ENSAE: economics, statistics or finance. Students with a financial or an economic background should be ready to invest heavily in quantitative methods.
The former can apply either for an admission into the first year (major mathematics) or into the second year. The latter are more likely to be admitted in to the first year (major economics).
Applicants should have an excellent ranking in their department.
All applicants should also be willing to learn French, as French is the main working language at ENSAE. ParisTech and ENSAE provide training in French, before and after admission.